Probably you have lots of leftovers from the Christmas season. In my case, I had leftover chorizo and mixed seafood in the freezer so I decided to make my own version of paella with it. Mixing Spanish and Asian flavors, I call it my “Asian Mix Paella”
What you would need:
- 5 cups glutinous rice (malagkit)
- 1 tsp powdered atsuete or powdered paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 500g mixed seafood (the frozen packed variety from the grocery will do)
- 6 pcs chorizo, sliced
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 1 whole garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Now let’s go cooking!
- Cook the glutinous rice together with the atsuete or paprika and 1 tsp salt in it. Be sure to evenly distribute the powder so that the rice will be evenly colored.
- In a separate pan, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil. Add chorizo once onion is translucent.
- Add the chorizo and cook until tender.
- Add the seafood. Note: if using the frozen variety, saute straight from the freezer. Drain excess water once seafood has cooked.
- Once seafood has cooked, add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, remaining salt, sugar, and pepper (salt, sugar, and pepper can be adjusted according to your taste). Mix thoroughly until sauce has been evenly distributed.
- In a paella pan, spread cooked rice. Top the seafood mix afterwards.
- Enjoy and eat! 🙂